Sunday, August 14, 2011

Multi-tasking.....

Is it ruining our ability to communicate? I recently read this article here and realized in relation to my family.....yes, it is scarey.....Everyone these days communicates by texting or constantly is reading their emails.  I have it with my own family.  I noticed the last time we all got together....several of my children were on their cell phones...checking email and texting or on Facebook.....I hate it, I would rather talk on the phone than text....but, is that today's way?  And can we change?

I recently spent a week on a cruise.....and although they had an internet cafe there, I decided I was going to cut myself off.  So for one week, I did not read emails, blog, text, or go surfing.  And you know what..........I survived....I put a vacation sign in my Etsy Shop ..... and the whole world did not end because I was not out there "technologically communicating".

I enjoyed good conversations with people on board...and if I had to communicate...I used the telephone.....so it can be done....My questions to you are, "Can you do without technology for one week?"  "Have you ever tried?"

5 comments:

  1. I am with you. I have a son-in-law who prefers texting to other forms of communication. I think its because he can do it on his time. Such a busy one, he is. I go along with it but I also call him just to catch him by surprise. He's always glad I called....We live on opposite coastlines. Technology has its limits....or should have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weellll, if I had a life I might make it. Lol. Since I got my iPad I'm using it from the time I get up until I go to bed. I AM ADDICTED!!!! No questestion about. Is there a 12 step program for that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never understood the "need" to text...till my daughter put me on her cell phone plan, and I got a slider. Now I text while I am on the pc with several tabs open. lol But I put in laws for myself, my laptop is turned off during most of the day, I get on in the morning and after dinner.
    Debbi
    -ourhometoyours

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so want an Ipad....I justified it by telling my hubby that if I had one I can sit next to him on the couch and use it while he is watching his TV...instead of being at the dining room table .... still working on it....I do take my Iphone and do everything on it except blog...havent figured that one out yet...lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. No technology . . .

    I think I'd go into a cyber coma :(

    ReplyDelete

Share this